Chateau de l'Avrille

COTEAUX DE L'AUBANCE, LOIRE VALLEY, FRANCE

The Château d’Avrillé is situated just outside the town of Brissac. It’s an ancient property that sits on the side of the historic Roman road that connected Angers to Poitiers. Little has changed, since it remains well-sited to draw in visitors off the main highway. The current building dates from the 16th Century, although looks a little neglected. Eusèbe Biotteau purchased the property in 1938 and was still around during the period that the wine below was harvested. Something of a legend in these parts, Eusèbe building their enterprise to incorporate a total of 120 hectares of vineyards scattered around a number of Anjou appellations.

One of the smallest appellations is the Coteaux de l’Aubance. Despite being awarded AC status in 1950, but with only 180 hectares planted, it remains one of the Loire’s most confidential wines. Located along the banks of the Aubance, a tiny stream that meanders its way towards the Loire south of Angers, it tends to be overlooked by the larger and better known vineyards of the neighbouring Layon.